Thursday 12 June 2014

Farewell for now...

Dear Families;
It is with a very heavy heart, I am writing to you today. As a result of the unfortunate job situation currently occurring, due to the ongoing dispute between the government and the BCTF, the end of the year will not play out the way I had hoped for. Up until about a month ago, I intended to invite my wonderful students of Div. 4 to celebrate the end of the year with me at my home on the Saanich Peninsula. We were all looking forward to a BBQ at my house, many days of last week activities, outside fun and games, a year-end slideshow that I created for my kids, Beach Day, Fun Day, and much more learning! Instead, it looks like these next two weeks will be interrupted by job action and political conflict. I can only hope that this huge sacrifice of students, families and teachers will lead to a resolution.  In the meantime, I am preparing for the “worst case scenario”, which assumes tomorrow (Friday, June 13) to be the last day of school before the summer break. I am trying to figure out how to say good-bye to the students, completing their portfolios, marking their latest math quiz, celebrating their amazing learning over the last ten months and stay positive … all in one day! It will be a difficult one!
I will be sending all the students’ supplies as well as all of the art work, dialogue journals and porfolios home on Friday.  In the (hopeful) event that school is back in session before the end of June, there is no need to return these to school, as I have classroom supplies that the students may use. Hopefully, your child has returned all of his/her library books to the school. If you still find items that belong to the school, please contact Ms. Byrne at the school at 250-478-8368 throughout the next two weeks.
I have a copy of the slideshow I made on DVD for each child and hope to be able to give it to the children during the last week of school, if (or when) the political conflict is resolved. If not, I will show the slideshow to the students in the first week of school in the fall and will have the DVDs available.
Thanks for your wonderful support and understanding in this difficult time.
So long for now,
Katrin van der Leeden
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Thalia adored you as her teacher you set the bar high, and as her mommy I sincerely thank you for all that you do at this great school! I hope you enjoyed your gift! I wish things had been a little different (job action timing), but as a non-teaching teacher, I fully support your union, as does my hubby, also in a union! Sensing love strength and support in this tenuous time... Kara Abrahams Buttree, Thalia's mom

    ReplyDelete